Whilst most people know Chapel Hill Uniting Church as the ‘beautiful chapel on the hill’, this is only part of the story. There has been an unbroken Christian witness on this site – at the corner of Chapel Hill Road and Moggill Road, Chapel Hill – for well over a century.
The original church built around 1873-1874 as a Primitive Methodist Church still stands on the site. A small cemetery was also established around the time when the original church was built. The historic chapel remains in regular use today. It has been lovingly cared for throughout its life, and is in very good condition. The cemetery contains the graves of a number of local pioneers, with headstones dated from 1875 to 1997, but it is now closed to interments.
In 1902, the Primitive Methodist Church joined together with the Wesleyan Methodists and United Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Australasia, and then in 1977, the Methodist Church, the Congregational Church and the majority of the Presbyterian Church united to form the Uniting Church in Australia.
The current worship centre, built originally in 1955 and subsequently renovated and enlarged, is a two-level multi-purpose building, with a hall on the lower level. In spite of its location on the corner of two busy suburban streets, the worship centre has beautful, restful views of trees from its large windows on the eastern side.
Both the hall and the chapel are regularly used by a range of community groups. Contact the church office to enquire about availability and hire costs.